Monday 14 March 2016

Return To The Magnum



Hello!

This was not my first visit to The Magnum and it certainly will not be my last. I raved to everyone I knew after my first meal and when I found out they had launched a new menu, I couldn't wait to head back. You can read all about my first trip to The Magnum here: My First Visit To The Magnum

Seeing as it was almost Mother’s Day, I thought I would be a little good daughter and bring along my own wee mother.


Situated on the corner of Albany Street, you could easily walk past The Magnum and not realise what it has in store for you inside. This hidden gem is decorated with fairy lights in the window and modern contemporary furnishings. Now onto the main event, the food!

The Starters 

Carpaccio of Spiced Duck with Pickled Fennel, Cauliflower Cous Cous and Crisp Duck Skin

Salmon and King Prawn Ravioli

After ordering a large glass of wine and helping ourselves to the lovely bread on the table, it was time to dig into our starters. I decided to go for the intriguing Carpaccio of Spiced Duck with Pickled Fennel, Cauliflower Cous Cous and Crisp Duck Skin whilst my mother decided the Salmon and King Prawn Ravioli was the one for her, and since it disappeared quickly from her plate, I believe she enjoyed it a lot.

The spiced duck was delicious with a slight sweet taste which worked perfectly with the acidity of the fennel, the balsamic reduction brought the whole thing together. It was an interesting little starter, not one I would typically gone for in the past due to the rawness of the meat but I found myself pleasantly surprised.


The Mains 

Pan Fried Seabass was served up with Courgette and Cherry Tomato Ragu and Parmentier Potatoes

Pork Belly with Braised Puy Lentils, Buttifara Fresca Sausage and a Crispy Duck Egg


For my main, the seabass was calling my name whilst the Pork Belly with Braised Puy Lentils, Buttifara Fresca Sausage and a Crispy Duck Egg had been on my mother’s mind all day after reading the menu online prior to our visit.

The Pan Fried Seabass was served up with Courgette and Cherry Tomato Ragu and Parmentier Potatoes. The fish was beautifully cooked and fell apart in a wonderful way as soon as I stuck my knife and fork in it. The ragu was tasty but alas I little too strong on onion for my taste. I managed to pinch a bit of pork belly which was incredible from the tender meat to the crunchy crackling.

The Desserts

Lemon Tart with Chantilly Cream and Honeycomb Dust

Scottish Cranachan Cheesecake accompanied with Raspberry Compote Coulis


When it came to the desserts, I couldn't not go for the Lemon Tart with Chantilly Cream and Honeycomb Dust. It was sharp, creamy and everything I wanted from a good lemon tart. The honeycomb dust was enjoyable but I only wish there was little more of it, it did make the dish stand out though.

My mother went for the Scottish Cranachan Cheesecake accompanied with Raspberry Compote Coulis. It had to be one of the most beautifully presented desserts I have seen in a while with its unique shape. Lastly we finished our meal off with a flat white which arrived in the most adorable looking coffee cup ever.




Over all I really enjoyed my second visit to The Magum. It's such a beautiful venue and the staff are always incredibly helpful and friendly. As much as I loved the food the last time I visited, this new menu blows that out of the water. The amount of care that goes into each dish is seen throughout the whole visit, from the tastes to the presentation.

Big thank you to The Magnum* for having me back to try out the new menu!


Till the next time!



X






* Thought this meal was complimentary, all opinions expressed are 100% my own.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fab menu, the lemon tart looks incredible

    Tasha x sincereblonde.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still thinking about that lemon tart, was the best dessert I've had in a long time :)

      xxx

      Delete